“I believe that for every illness or ailment known to man , that god has a plant out here that will heal it. We first need to keep discovering the properties for natural healing”. Rasakriya and avaleha Kalpana is one such ayurvedic discoveries or formulations that has the properties of healing.
AYURVEDA AND ITS OBJECTIVES:
Ayurveda is one of the world’s holistic healing systems . it was developed more than 3000 years ago in India . it is based on the belief that health and wellness depend on a delicate balance between the mind , body , and spirit . Ayurveda is regarded as the upaveda of Atharvaveda . the science dealing with the beneficial , harmful , pleasurable , unpleasurable aspects of life , its promoters and its non-promoters ; measurement and also its nature or soul is termed as AYURVEDA . Ayurveda is considered as the most virtuous one , which is said to be beneficial for both the worlds [present life and after death in the heaven also] for all mankind .
Main objectives of Ayurveda have been divided into 2 aspects :
SWASTHASYA SWASTHYA RAKSHANAMA – To protect and maintain the health of a healthy person
ATURASYA VIKARA PRASAMANAM – To treat the disease and giving relief to sick person .
These two aspects reflect the unique approach of Ayurveda emphasized on the
importance of preventive medicine by developing an individual’s own immune system to fight against all infections . This is possible through these ayurvedic formulations having the properties of immunity boosting andrasakriya is one of them. These aspects of ayurvedic formulation comes under BHAISAJYA KALPANA .
That wins the fear of disease or restores the health of a person by
stabilizing the doshas is BHESAJA or BHAISAJYA .
2. KALPANA – “PRAKALPANAM SANSKARANAM ITI”
Kalpana is the process or the method employed for the preparation of
pharmaceutical products .
“BHAISAJYANAM KALPANA ITI BHAISYA KALPANA !!”
The science which deals in detail about the preparation of different medicines
is called as BHAISAJYA KALPANA .
“KWATHADINAM PUNAH PAKAD GHANTWAM SA RASAKRIYA .
SOVALEHA CHA LEHASCHA TANMATRA KARSHA SAMMITA”.
Rasakriya is a decoction of drugs boiled till it becomes semi solid. Rasakriya is
another name for lehya and avalehya . It is extract preparations that are boiled till consistency.
SARANGDHARA said that Rasakriya and Avaleha or Leha are same .
DALHANA quoted that :
1. Rasakriya made in liquid consistency – PHANITA.
2. Rasakriya made in semi solid consistency – AVALEHA /LEHA.
3. Rasakriya made into solid pellete form – GHANA .
In Ayurvedic science many types of Rasakriya have been described been discussed.
But during 16th century, mainly 2 formulations were in use :
1. RASANJANA (RASOT)
2. ELUA (MASABBAR)
Avaleha or Lehyam is one of the forms of Ayurvedic medicine which is semi solid in
consistency . It is prepared from metioned drugs or herbs with the addition of guda
( jaggery), sharkara (sugar or sugar candy )and boiled with prescribed swarasa or
kwatha / kashayam .
SYNONYMS – Modaka , Rasayana , Leha , Lehyama, etc.
INGREDIENTS : Different Avaleha preparations have different ingredients .
Different ingredients are categorized mainly based on 5 sub heading :
1. DRAVA DRAVYA – Kwatha / Swarasa / Hima / Phanta .
2. MADHURA DRAVYA – Mishri / Sugar candy / Jaggery .
3. AUSHADH DRAVYA – Churna .
4. LIPID / SNEHA DRAVYA – Ghee / Taila .
5. PRAKSHEPA DRAVYA (ADDITIVES) – Materials with vplatile principles and
causessome kind of aroma .
Eg. – Tejpatra , Dalchini , Choti elaichi , etc
If any metal or mineral is included into the ingredients , it should be taken in their
bhasm form . e.g – Bhrama Rasayana contain Swarna , Rajata , Tamra and Lauha .
Sugar and/or Jaggery acts as a binding agent .
GENERAL PROCEDURE :
Avaleha preparation is having many sub stages .
1. PREPARATION OF KALKA / PASTE :
In this stage the materials justified for kalka are turned into coarse powder as
Eg. – Amalaki is prepared for Chayavanprasha.
2. Then paste material has to be fried in mild to moderate fire with given amount
of Sneha till desire color , odor and taste of that material is achieved .
3. PREPARATION OF KWATHA :
In thus stage the materials meant for decoction are first coarsely powdered
and soaked in required amount of water for overnight.
Then it is boiled to reduce the water to make decoction and strained.
4. PREPARATION OF CHASINI :
The decoction is a solvent base of Avaleha .
The given amount of sugar is added and heated till it becomes enogh thick in
This stage is properly called CHASINI .
Here thread appearance is seen .
Generally , 1-2 thread appearance is enough for a proper avaleha.
5. After this, the fried paste form or in powdered form is added to the heating
swwet decoction and stirred continuously till all the substances mixed
6. ADDITION OF PRAKSHEPA DRAVYA :
Fire is put off . When the final product is mild hot , the prescribed prakshepa
dravya or fragrance material in the fine powder form is added.
Now , pack it after cooling at room temperature.
ASSESSMENT CRITERIA FOR AVALEHA :
On practical point of view all the assessing criteria for Avaleha paka can be
classified into 2 types :
1. Features during process.
2. Features after completion of process .
QUALITY ASSESSMENT :
1. TANTUMATVAMA – Appearance of thread .
2. PATITASTU NA SHIRYATI – Non spreding when put in water .
3. APSUMAJJATI – Sink in water.
4. NA CHA SARNAMA – Non spreading
5. YADA DARVI PRALEPAAH – Sticking to laddle .
AFTER PROCESS (PRODUCT) –
1. SUKHAMARDA – soft to roll.
2. SUKHA SPARSHO – soft to touch
3. PEEDITO BHAJATE MUDRAM – Appearance of finger prints
4. GANDHA VARNA RASANVITA – Characteristic , odor , color and taste .
1 Karsha – 2 pala ( 12 g – 96 g ) / ( 10 – 12 g )
Milk , Yusha , kashaya , Water , and Phala rasa .
AVALEHA SEVANA KALA :
Urdhwajatru roga – Evening time.
Adhobhaga roga – Before food .
SHELF LIFE :
According to Sharangdhara Samhita , shelf life of avaleha is 1 year .
According to Drug Cosmetic Act , shelf life is 3 year .
1. It is palatable .
2. It involves leaking . so , suitable for every age group .
3. It is nutritious.
1. Highly sugar content . Not to be given in obesity , diabetes and lipid profile.
2. It is a heavy preparation . Not to be given to mandagni .
1. Manibadra gulam
3. Agastya rasayana
4. Kushamanda avaleha
5. Soorana avaleha
6. Vasa avaleha