The study of measurement of body or body parts is called Pramana Sharir. Pramana or Body measurement are measured in 3 ways :-
- Anjali Pramana (For volume)
- Anguli Pramana (For length)
- Sankhya Sharir (For number)
- Other Names :- Kudava, Ardhasarva
- When two palms of hand are joined together, a cup like pit is formed, which is called as Anjali.
- Anjali pramana is a unit used to measure volume of different body constituents which are in fluid state or semi solid.
Anjali pramana of various body constituents :-
According to Acharya Charak ( च.शा.- 7/15) :-
Quantifying Anjali :-
- Anjali measurement can not be standardized as according to Acharya Charaka it is “Swena Anjali Pramana ” i.e. the measurement is based on measuring the tissue or body fluids using one’s own Anjali.
- The quantity which fits into each individuals anjali will differ.
Importance of Anjali Pramana :-
- It is used to determine the age or longevity of an individual.
- It is used to measure the normal value of body constituents .
- To determine the status of health and sickness.
- To facilitate the treatment procedure.
- To identify the chaitanyta i.e. conciousness in an individual hence differentiating dead and alive.